Friday, February 26, 2010

Freezer Cooking Day: March 1st & 2nd

 
I can't believe it's time for freezer cooking day once again.  It's my second time, and I honestly can't be to overly ambitious because I simply don't have the freezer space.  I still need to invest in an extra freezer, but other things have come recently so I haven't been able to.  Somehow I will make my little combo freezer fridge work.  I plan to clean and reorganize it this weekend in preparation.  Maybe I will switch up my menu plan and try to use up some of the dinners I still have from last month's freezer cooking day.

Money Saving Mom and Life as Mom are hosting this day of "fun" and frugality March 1st and 2nd (Monday & Tuesday), and you can play along by following on Twitter (hashtag #oamc) or Facebook here.

Here's my tentative plan so far:

  1. Spaghetti Sauce with meat for 3 dinners (Thanks for the idea Jane!)
  2. Meatloaf Minis in muffin pans (24)
  3. Slow Cooker Chicken for shredded meat (One each day)
  4. Hamburger with toco seasoning for 3 dinners

I hope to find a muffin recipe to try too.  My family is getting a little bored with banana nut and raisin bran muffins.  Anyone have a good recipe they'd like to share?

My shopping list is really easy this time, thanks to a pretty simple menu plan!

  1. Hamburger 10 lbs: On sale at Albertsons for $1.99/lb (butcher block) or QFC ($1.66/lb, but prepackaged, which I don't really like as well).
  2. Chicken Fryers (2): on sale at Fred Meyer for 79¢/lb (Foster Farm, my preference)
  3. Eggs: 18 ct on sale for $2 each at Fred Meyer (decent price, and I need to bake a cake today.)

I may be tweeking my plan a little bit over the weekend.  I will be checking out some the other participants plans for more ideas tomorrow here.   Hope it turns out as good as last time!

Freezer cooking and menu planning have made my life so much easier in the past  month, not to mention saved me even more money than couponing alone!  Notice, I've chosen meat that is on sale for a good price right now.  If I decide to partake in the Betty Crocker promo I can use the OYNO catalina to get my burger for an even better deal (still on the fence about it).  I really won't need many other ingredients because I bought a decent stockpile of spaghetti  sauce when it was rock bottom cheap about a couple months ago.  I  also have lots of pasta that I've gotten for FREE using Albertsons doublers.  The goal is to plan my menu based on what I have already and what's on sale so that I can save both time and money!

Share this!

4 comments:

Rachel A said...

These are my favorite!!

BANANA OATMEAL MUFFINS (I call them paper weights)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
½ to 1 cup sugar
1 ½ cup flour (can be all whole wheat)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ¾ cup quick oats
1 egg
2/3 cup oil (I have used applesauce before)
1 cup smashed banana
1 cup mini chocolate chips
½ cup nuts (optional)

Mix dry ingredients together and add wet till just mixed. Fold in nuts, seed, and chocolate chips. Bake for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Double to make 12 large muffins.

The Keevy Family said...

Looks like a great plan! I'm glad to see that I inspired your spaghetti sauce making. :) I'd be glad to send you and email with the recipe if you'd like. It's a great hearty and thick sauce and it freezes well. Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for you! :)

Jane

Kim said...

Thanks Rachel, I've been looking for good oatmeal recipes. I have a bunch from the recent Albertsons sale.

Jane, I would love your recipe!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a good plan! I haven't tried full-blown OAMC. Instead of having one big cooking day, I try to cook and freeze whatever is on sale that week. Most recently I stocked the freezer with prepared ground-beef dishes (meatballs, meatloaf, browned meat for chili and other dishes). What a time- and money-saver!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama • Digiscrap by Kevin and Amanda