Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Homemade Dryer Sheets: Too Frugal?



I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about saving money on household cleaning. In it, I mentioned making your own homemade dryer sheets.  Since I recently got a couple of bottles of Snuggle fabric softener for free using some high value coupons, I thought I would give it a try.

It turned out to be really easy.  I simply took a few old wash cloths and soaked them with the fabric softener.  Then I rung out the excess liquid and put it back into the bottle.  (I did make the mistake of not wearing gloves when I did this, and could not get the smell of the fabric softener off my hands for the rest of the day, no matter how hard I scrubbed!)  Next, I put the wash cloths in the garage to dry overnight.

Now the acid test, actually using them in the dryer.....

The results were not bad at all.  I read that you could reuse them up to 10 times.  I found that this was a bit too much, as they did the job for about 5 cycles each.  They didn't leave any discoloration on the fabric, and my clothes had a fresh scent.  Since it only took a couple minutes to make them, I will probably do it again (with gloves on).  I'm sure the fabric softener will last me a long time this way.

To some it may seem too frugal.  But hey, when you get a free product, why not get as much use out of it as possible!  

Do you have any frugal tips?  Leave me a comment!

1 comment:

maygan said...

love the idea, I like fabric sheets better than liquid but snagged liquid with my coupons so i will definitly be trying your method (and wearing gloves!!).

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama • Digiscrap by Kevin and Amanda