Thursday, March 4, 2010

Shopping Awesomeness and a Goodbye!


Has everyone been enjoying the incredible week at Albertsons as much as I have?  I've spent $19.63 out of pocket and still have $10 in catalinas.  My savings so far is $217.94!  The trick is to roll those catalinas!

I've made a few trips for all this and have been careful not to wipe the store out of anything.  I have honestly spent about two hours organizing and printing coupons, planning my shopping trip transactions, and reading other blogs to do this.  That's like making a $100 an hour!  The shopping trips themselves have been quick because I have been organized and I've had my 16 year old doing transactions too.  I feel like I am really preparing her for when she is on her own in a few years!

I'm not going to break everything down because there are two amazing blogs that have all promotions listed.   Fabulessly Frugal and The Krazy Coupon Lady have worked very hard to compile the deals and you must check them out!

I've made the decision this week to stop posting deals.  There are so many wonderful blogs out there that do such a good job already.  I don't really feel that I have the time to spend working on my blog anymore.  My one year old is so active now and I'm unable to devote as much time as I have been over the past few months to my blog.  A blog takes a lot of time and energy, as do one year olds!

Initially I thought I could make a little money on the side, but the realization quickly came that there is a lot more to it than writing posts.  There is the technological component, the affiliate component, emails and social networking, hours compiling deals, planning and writing posts, taking pictures, networking with other bloggers and so, so much more!  Don't get me wrong, it has been a lot of fun and I've learned so much.  I may come back to it in the future when the time is right.


I'm considering going back to work part time.  I love being a nurse and it is where my real passion lies.  It is a wonderful feeling to help others.  I particularly enjoy the human component that I don't get from being on the computer several hours a day. I feel like I can be more present for my family as well by spending one or two days at work, versus being off and on the computer all day!  I will also actually make some money:)

There are several other reasons that I'm calling it quits.  My friend Jane has stopped writing her blog this week, but for very different reasons.  We were posting each others Fred Meyer and Albertsons deals, so I feel like it gave me permission to do something I've been thinking about for several weeks now. (Not that she would have minded I'm sure!)    I'm also excited about starting my first garden this spring, and have been doing a lot of research and preparation.


Everyone reading post already knows this information, but I'm going to post links to some of my favorite blogs for deals and great couponing tips, just in case.  Please check out all of the other blogs on my sidebar too!

The Coupon Project:  Fred Meyers, Albertsons and all the drug stores.  Angela also has excellent posts on coupon ethics (I didn't realize how much coupon abuse there was until I started blogging), a savings tracker that is a must, and many other helpful resources.

Fabulessly Frugal:  Albertsons, Fred Meyer, and much more.

The Krazy Coupon Lady:  Albertsons, Fred Meyer, drug stores, catalinas, and a wonderful printable coupon data base.

Maybe Frugal:  Great local blog.  I get a lot of information from her personal shopping trips.

Coupon Connections Northwest:  This is a new blog, but they are going at it full force.  They are also, like me, located in Snohomish County.  They post most grocery store and drug store deals, as well as few others specific to our area.  You must take advantage of The Everett Herald delivery deal if you live in Sno Co.  I ordered it the other day and can't believe I waited so long!

Thrify Northwest Mom and Centsible in Seattle:  These are two of the first blogs I found and started following.  Both post a lot of great money saving deals, many of which are specific to our area!


Thanks to everyone who has been following my blog.  I am grateful for every comment and email that I received.  I hope I've helped a few of you along the way!

God Bless! 

Thank you image courtesy of Flickr.com (Vernhart) and stethascope courtesy of Photobucket.

16 comments:

Sia Hills said...

Kim, Best wishes to you! You will be missed in the blogosphere :-) I understand the dilemma though...I have a preteen and two very young ones. Now that I have had to go back to work it is a real struggle keeping blog up :-) I just wanted to wish you the best in your endeavors and let you know I will certainly miss your blog!!! You are a talented deal finder.

Stephanie - My Frugal Lifestyle said...

I'm going to miss you so much, Kim! I'm so happy for you at the same time! It's great to take a break from our every day lives and really strive for what you want in life. I wish you good luck! Don't be a stranger, either! I hope to hear from you and I hope everything works out for you.

Christy said...

First, I have to say WOW! you had some amazing Albertsons trips.

Second, You will be missed, I just recently found your blog a couple of months ago, and I liked checking in. I can totally understand wanting to spend more time on other things, this blogging thing takes up more time than I imagined.

Third, I didn't realize you have a teenager. I was beginning to think I was one of the only coupon bloggers out their with older kids.

Enjoy!!!

Unknown said...

Wow great run! You are the 3rd blogger this week I follow that has decided to stop. But as a mother of 7 I understand family comes first good luck!

Amber Red said...

Miss you too! Good luck to you and your adventures. Please email me your great deals that you buy because I would love to post the pictures ;) What an amazing trip you had! Those beans alone at costco would of cost you 5.99 and look at all the extra stuff you got!
And thanks for the linkage :) Always appreciated!

Angela R. said...

Oh I'm totally sad to see you leave...you had some great posts going and I loved the depth of information you provided. That being said, I understand completely how tricky it can be running a blog like this and taking care of little ones. It is HARD!! And yes, it is disappointing when you spend hours upon hours of hard work before seeing a dime.

Blessings to you in your work as a nurse! Please do let us know if you "come back on the scene" as a blogger and I will be delighted to put you back on my blogroll ASAP!

Blessings, Angela

K said...

Oh my...this is the first I had heard of this blog but saw you mentioned on another blog as leaving. I had been looking for NW blogs. Thank you for your recommendations. Good Luck to you.
:-)

The Prudent Patron said...

Aww, I am sad to see you go, my similar name buddy. ;)

I totally understand. Enjoy all that extra time wiht your family.

Anonymous said...

Kim! Just wanted to say thank you for getting me started on this frugal adventure! Your blogged really helped mr open my eyes to a world of savings... It has helped our family so much and in so many ways! I can totally understand stepping away...I have a hard enough time just keeping up with all the coupons,deals, etc...I couldn't imagine blogging about it too! I'll keep in touch on facebook-good luck with the garden! Talk to you soon...hopefully see you soon!
Love, your cousin Laura

Kaizen Fashion Project said...

Good luck with your new life decisions! Good for you! I have loved checking in with your blog you seem like such a sweetheart!

The Keevy Family said...

Kim,
You will be MISSED!!!

I completely understand your reasoning and I wish you the best in your career as a nurse. Please keep in touch!

Your blog has been a wonderful resource for me. You have been so attentive to every detail in your posts and rest assured that you have helped MANY people save money and you should be proud of that!

Thanks again for everything!

Jane

Misty Makes said...

I'll miss your posts (especially Fred Meyer), but totally understand that family and your sanity come first.
Take care

Kim said...

Aww, Thanks everybody! I feel kind of sad right now, it's a setting in that is a bit of a loss. I've had so much fun on this short adventure! I'm so glad that I inspired you to get started Laura, and the rest of you I've had some little impact on. Whether couponing helps people make ends meet, afford some of the finer things in life, or move closer to becoming debt free, it is so worth the relatively small amount of time it takes! I am so glad there are so many of you wonderful bloggers out there dedicated to helping others figure out how to get the best bang for their buck. I was clueless until I discovered you! I will continue to enjoy coming to visit and sharing my frugal finds!

Jen said...

Kim-I didn't see your post until now - so sorry to see you go!! I've really enjoyed your in-depth matchups & shopping trips! You've had a great blog!! But, I know exactly how you feel - I've really struggled with that alot, too, these past few months as my 1 yr old has gotten more active, too! Whew-they keep you on your toes, don't they?! {Mine hates when I'm on the computer, too, so I've had to resort to late-night/early morning posting frequently}.

Best of luck in possibly going back to work! I have the absolute highest regard for nurses - it really takes a special person to be a nurse!

charlie54933 said...

Thank you Kim, for all your hard work! I've so enjoyed your blog! Take care, and best wishes with your family, your nursing career, and your garden!

Anonymous said...

I just recently found your blog and really enjoyed your tips! You helped me save money and in this economy, thats a big deal. Good luck! Nurses Rock!
-Carolyn in Gig Harbor

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama • Digiscrap by Kevin and Amanda