Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Week in Review: 11/29 - 12/5

 This is my once again, very late week in review, for November 29th through December 5th.  I sometimes slack doing these because they are a little time consuming.  I'm not good about logging my purchases into Excel when I get home from shopping.  I'm usually busy snapping a quick photo, putting the stuff away, and tending to the baby.  (She is sick this week, so I've been procrastinating even more.)  I am usually good about putting my receipts in an envelope to tally later though.  It's important for me to keep track of my spending, not only from a financial standpoint, but also so I can see that the time I spend coupon clipping and deal planning is really paying off!  The reality is that it does take time, no matter what else says.  I'm sure with more time and experience, the process will get faster and easier.  So here goes with last week's savings:



Safeway:
Percent Saved: 99%
Total OOP: 61¢!
Total Before Savings: $35.46
Details: here


Fred Meyer:
Percent Saved: 61%
Total OOP: $61.68
Total Before Savings: $144.53

Walgreens: details/pictures here and here
Percent Saved: 87%
Total Spent: $17.79
Total Before Savings: $139.84


I wish I could trim my spending down a bit more, but in general I am happy.  I am a work in progress, and getting better all the time.  When I look at how much I would have spent before the coupons and deals I am ecstatic!




3 comments:

The Keevy Family said...

I think you are doing great!! I think you will find encouragement by logging this details too, when you can. Mine are always hit and miss for some of the same reasons you gave. With my third baby on the way, I'm not sure it will get better! I was looking through some of my blog posts from a year ago and realizing that I have come a far way in learning how to save. Sometimes you don't see it until you look back and see where you've been. I think mainly I've learned to have a balance of using my stock pile (after months of working to create it), shopping and cooking from what is on sale, and the way I think about my purchases and plan. I don't do an Excel spread sheet, I suppose I could. I'd love to know more details about how you do that--such as, do you log in each item you buy or just a final order tally of how much you spent? I always use my debit card and I just track my purchases online.
Thanks for sharing!
Jane
Alltogetherbeautiful.blogspot.com

BTW: Hubby and I had a chance to go to coffee last night so I took the opportunity and skipped out on Target, so I don't have any news for you on the Hot. Choc. price.

maygan said...

You did really great!

Kim said...

I made a homemade spread sheet a couple of months ago after realizing I needed to keep better track of where our money was going. I was diligent for a while, but began slacking after starting this blog. Now I track my spending more on the blog than anywhere else (in terms of groceries and personal care items anyway). I just created columns with store name, amount spent, amount saved, what type of purchase it was. I never got around to comparing months which would be the best way to really track savings. I know there are programs you can buy, but really, I am just too cheap for that! I love how some bloggers post their year to date savings. Maybe I'll try that if I ever get more organized with it.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama • Digiscrap by Kevin and Amanda